This quiet pedestrian street the Haris alley was beloved because of its oriental atmosphere and rumored because of a double murder, committed in 1885.
- This little house appears even smaller since it lies below the current street level.
When Pest was still enclosed by walls, all houses were like this size or even smaller.
This particular one was designed by Andras Mayerhoffer in 1756. Mayerhoffer was a local stonemason and being part of the Pest stonemason guild he had the right to design and build in the countryside as well.
This meant that the Peterffy family was not his only client but he also designed houses to the Grassalkovics family.
Back on the 19th century this was like working for the Montague and for the Capulete family as well.
The Peterffy palace is one of the few baroque civil buildings which survived the great flood of 1838 – you can find the water level marker on the side of the house.
The restaurant in the building is older than 100 yrs. It was first opened in 1831. That time it was called the Dirty Joseph later it was knows under the name White Ship.
- This quiet pedestrian street bears the name of the Haris family; one of the oldest and wealthiest families in Hungary.
This merchant family originates from a Greek island (Korinthos) and the very first Haris arrived to Hungary during the reign of king Matthias Corvinus.
The gentleman became a captain in the king’s Black Army. His direct descendant, Gergely Haris was the one who moved his family to Pest.
They were so wealthy back then, that after settling down here, they became one of the biggest tax-payers of the city. The head of the family was so admired for his contribution to the development of the city that when he was lying in death, people covered the nearby streets with straw so that the clatter of the hooves wouldn’t disturb him.
Gergely Haris was the one who ordered the construction of the so-called „Haris Bazaar” which was on the site of the actual street. The bazaar was a passage decorated with tesselated pavement, palm trees, statues and a fountain.
It was covered with a glass and cast iron vaulted roof and it housed 14 shops (a photo studio and a press among them) and 10 apartments.
The place was beloved because of its oriental atmosphere and rumored because of a double murder, committed in 1885. During the daytime when the bazaar was full of people, in one of the apartments, a prostitute and her 8 year old niece were murdered in cold blood.
The news spread all over the orherwise calm city and shocked even the most trained souls, simply because Budapest was not considered to be a dangerous city. You can all guess that the perpetrator was the girl’s client, who wanted a bit more that she thought she’d give.
The Hungarian Jack the ripper was arrested in two days, but the incident started a whole series of debates about topics like Budapest as a metropolis, women, crime and mental disorders.
The bazaar was demolished in 1910 and the actual site was created then. After its creation, this street was the only private street in Budapest.
Back then, a street could be private with the only condition that it would be closed once a year.
So, the alley was closed on one single day per year, usually around noon when the notary came and checked it. People were informed about the closure in the newspapers. Unfortunately, after the communist take-over, the street was nationalized. Now, only the plaque reminds us to the family.