Established in 1717, the Piarist school was originally a Catholic monastery and it was the earliest catholic high school in Hungary.
The school has a glorious past.
- The other half of the twin palaces was built at the same time as the so-called Matild palace across the street.
Built by Flóris Korb and Kálmán Giergl in 1902. The twin sisters are almost mirror images of each other.
After a six year long labor a delightful princess was born, named Buddha Bar Hotel. 102 hotel rooms are ready to welcome guest from all over the World.
The outcome of the renovation is a great addition to the inner city and proved that it is possible to find new functions for landmark buildings.
There were no compromises here, neither on the functional side, nor the heritage protection side. The main entrance is from the East on the left of the narrowest side of the oblong-shaped building.
Inside there is a triangle-shaped covered courtyard, clad in minimalistic stone. The ruling color of the inner walls are black and red.
There is a contemporary interior design everywhere – and it is fitting.
- Established in 1717, this was originally a Catholic monastery and it was the earliest catholic high school in Hungary.
The first school building was demolished when the first Elisabeth Bridge was built.
The school has a glorious past. On the 15th of August 1783 the first air balloon of Hungary took off from the school yard.
This school was a renegade in the 19th century, instead of teaching in Latin they were brave enough to teach in Hungarian.
In 1850 the 7th grade was opened and the school became a proper high school.
The first final exams were also held here with 143 kids. The final exam system is still in use in Hungary ever since.
In the early 1950 the complex was nationalized and confiscated and turned into the Faculty of Human Sciences. The Piarist were forced to move to Mikszath Kalman square.